If you’re looking for a personal and creative way to brighten up a space, look no further! A collage wall created of small individual canvases is an easy, fun and cheap way to to add color and personality to any room in your home. Recently while watching an old episode of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills – forgive me…it’s a guilty pleasure – I was inspired by one of the walls in Yolanda’s kitchen. Around 50 large square canvases all painted with different images covered a wall in her kitchen, adding color and a sense of individuality to the space. Because I don’t have a wall quite as massive as the one in the episode, I decided to recreate the look using small 5 in. x 5 in. canvases.
When creating your own, the process is better just as rewarding as the product! You can paint with friends, family, your kids, or even solo. I painted all of mine myself and decided to make each one represent and idea, interest or goal.
- The dove: a reminder of peace
- The waves: I love swimming and being near the ocean
- The flag: I’m half English, so the flag reminds me of my dad
- The heart: a reminder that love is all around us
- The eye: a reminder to have vision and to see things with clarity
- The city: I’m from New York, so the city reminds me of home when I’m at school
- Namaste: a reminder to strive for balance and inner peace
- The boat: reminds me of a favorite quote “a ship in the harbor is safe, but that’s not what ships are built for”
- Vogue: I’ve been completely obsessed with the magazine since I was little!
Not only do these mini paintings brighten up my living space, but they are also daily reminders of my intentions & dreams. To make your own you’ll need…
- Square canvases – as many as you want, whatever size you want, I have 15 canvases each 5x5in.
- Paint – I used acrylic paints available at any local art supply/ craft store
- Wall adhesive – I use Command’s velcro Picture Hanging Strips, but thumbtacks or sticky tack work too, depending on the size & weight of the canvases.
- Imagination – the canvas is yours to create!