Summer can’t get here fast enough? I know exactly how you feel, but better…I know exactly where you should go for your Summer 2016 getaway: Cannes, France. Here’s 5 reasons why it’s one of my favorite destinations to date:
1. The Location: Staying on the Côte d’Azur means one thing: options! Being on the cost gives you easy access to other major towns along the French Riviera. During my stay, I travelled to Nice, Èze, and the neighboring country of Monaco. The trains/ tour companies in Cannes make it easy to reach other towns such as Saint Tropez, Marseille, and even Italy. The takeaway: This is a one plane ticket, multiple destination trip!
2. The Beach: First off, who doesn’t love the ocean? Now add clear aquamarine water and smooth golden sands that’ll make you think you’re in St. Barths. Finally throw in the image of the occasional yacht floating peacefully in the distance as you swim in Mediterranean Sea . How could anyone resist that…am I right?? When you’re there you have two options, either public beaches or private beaches. The public beaches seemed fine- they weren’t overly crowded and the best part is they don’t cost a penny! The private beaches on the other hand range in price from 20-40 euros per day. However, in my opinion the money is so worth it! Usually you’ll be seated on a boardwalk that stretches into the sea and have a beach chair, umbrella, wait staff, bar and bathroom at your fingertips. Personally, I used the InterContinental Carlton’s beach, and loved it! The takeaway: You’ll swim in the same sea, but pay for the experience.
3. The Shopping: Holy Labels! If you love fashion, you’ll think you’ve died and went to designer heaven. Even if you’re not buying anything who doesn’t want to enjoy a latté on the patio of the Armani Café? Shops including Balenciaga, Burberry, Céline, Chanel, Dior, and Louis Vuitton line the Croisette, their window displays alone being enough to give a girl butterflies. And don’t fear if these stores are out of your price range, a block or two north of the beach there’s a slew of more affordable shops like Zara and Mango. The takeaway: Come with an empty suitcase!
4. The Sights: Cannes is probably best known for the annual film festival it hosts. While you’re vacationing, a visit to the Palais des Festivals is in order. There you can walk the red carpet, where so many stars have done so before and get some quality photos in. You can also see the Allée des Étoiles (Cannes’ equivalent to the Hollywood Walk of Fame) where celebrities such as Spike Lee and Julie Andrews have immortalized their hand prints. The takeaway: You get to walk on a red carpet (need I say more?).
5. The Atmosphere: There’s something about the town that makes you feel as though you’re in another world. As someone who grew up going on vacation to the Caribbean a lot, Cannes felt like a blend of tropical island life, with a sophisticated European edge. The food was amazing, the views were otherworldly and the people were friendly, helpful, and easygoing (not a snob in sight!). The takeaway: Book your flight now!